What is a heat pump? Is it better than a normal air conditioner?
What is a heat pump?
If you ever were considering replacing your Air Conditioning system, you probably heard about Heat Pump. In a nutshell Heat Pump is the same as the so-called straight cool system, aka the normal air conditioner, but with the special valve, which can reverse the cooling process to the heating process, utilizing the very same compressor.
Difference between Heat Pump and Straight Cool Air Conditioner
The Heat Pump’s reversing valve being used during Heat mode only, in other words, there is no difference between Heat Pump and Straight Cool Air Conditioner in Cooling mode ( Summer).
During the heat mode ( winter) the heat pump uses the same compressor to provide heat to your house. So, Heat Pump only turning on during cold days, when you would set your thermostat to “Heat” mode.
Pros and Cons
- Main benefit – energy saving, up to 50% or more Vs. Standard Electrical Heat Strips installed inside your Air Handler ( indoor unit)
- Rebates from Utility companies are significantly higher than for straight cool AC.
- Les emission into the atmosphere and more eco-friendly
- Heat Pump works all year, so more wear and tear is put on vs. standard air conditioner
- Bigger amount of moving parts, hence higher possibility of repair and higher repair cost
How much doest Heat Pump cost?
Consider the number of cold days in the year. Let say Winter Park and Orlando , FL – most of us using heat enough to justify Heat Pump install.
Miami – number of people do not use Heat at all.
In the end, it is your choice, and whatever choice you will make we will be happy to assist you with your Air Conditioner change -out project. More
Please watch the video to better understand what is a heat pump